Needs — a PC with a CD-ROM drive, speakers, a microphone, any version of Windows® from 2000 up
With Read, listen and speak you can:
- learn to read just over 800 Chinese characters
- learn how to pronounce Chinese
- have your Chinese speaking assessed
You can do this at any one of three graded levels of vocabulary learning.
At each of these levels you can:
Select a vocabulary topic to study (all relevant to GCSE)
- A Level 1 screen with pinyin on.
- The same vocabulary topic section now at Level 2 and with pinyin off.
Test your vocabulary learning skills in two directions: English to Chinese or Chinese to English
- English-Chinese – multiple choice questions to build vocabulary and develop character reading skills. Here with pinyin on.
- Chinese-English – more multiple choice questions, this time from Chinese to English and with pinyin now set off.
Listen to the Chinese being spoken by a Chinese person
- You can choose one of two pronunciation levels to work at and to be assessed at.
Speak the Chinese yourself
- listen to your own pronunciation of Chinese
- have your own Chinese pronunciation independently graded
Test your long-term memory with the Self-test Randomizer
- Choose three topics
- Start the self-test
Keep a record of your progress